6 Tasty DIY Spring Cocktails That Will Whisk You Away
These simple and delicious cocktails from Navy Pier’s on-site establishments will taste like a vacation in a glass. Grab the ingredients, schedule a Zoom call with friends, and enjoy for a virtual vacation from your living room. Cheers!
“Aperol Spritz” – Riva Crabhouse
This classic Italian refresher is perfect for an outside session in warming weather – or for creating that setting at home! This is also Phil Stefani’s favorite cocktail to enjoy while sitting on Riva’s patio watching foot and boat traffic.
- Tall wine glass; Ice; Aperol; Prosecco; Club soda; Orange slices
- Add ice to glass
- Add 3 oz. Aperol
- Add 3 oz. Prosecco
- Add splash of club soda
- Garnish with orange slice
“Mango Margarita” – Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
Nothing beats a refreshing, sweet margarita on a sunny day! For at-home bartenders, simple syrup can be made by pouring ¼ cup of sugar into ¼ cup hot water; then stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Also, a substitute for tajin chili lime seasoning is a mixture of chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, sugar and lime zest.
- 1.5 oz of Silver Tequila; 1.5 oz of Fresh Lime Juice; 1.5 oz of Simple Syrup; 1 Lime; Tajin Chili Lime Seasoning
- Fill a bar mixing tin with ice.
- Add all ingredients into the bar mixing tin.
- Cover the mixing tin with a lid or bar glass that fits within the mixing tin.
- Hold the mixing tin & glass tightly together and let the shaking begin! Start slow so it doesn’t spill then shake it vigorously until well blended.
- If you do not have a mixing tin, enter all ingredients into a large glass and stir until well blended.
- Prepare a cocktail glass:
- Run a lime around the rim of the glass
- Sprinkle Tajin Chili Lime Seasoning on a flat plate
- Turn the glass upside down and dip into the Tajin Seasoning
- Fill the glass with ice
- Place a strainer over the mixing tin and pour contents into the prepared cocktail glass.
“Rosé All Day Spritz” – Harry Caray’s Tavern
Nothing says Spring has sprung quite like Rosé and all you need are a few basics to make it extra special and refreshing! Be sure to stop by when Harry’s reopens on the Pier to try the Frosé—another fun cocktail featuring Rosé!
- 6 oz Rosé wine; Splash of Club Soda; Fresh Strawberries (about 2 tbsp or more depending on your liking); 2 Lemon Slices; Large wine glass
- Muddle the lemon and strawberries in the bottom of the glass and fill with ice.
- Add your rosé and top with club soda.
- Add a lemon slice and a piece of strawberry to the side of the glass as a garnish.
- Take a sip and say “HOLY COW!” because you’ve just made a refreshing cocktail for spring.
“Tiny Hammock” – Tiny Tavern
Make this cocktail at home, kick back on the couch and transport yourself to your own personal hammock. Tip: If you have a mandolin, use carefully for the cucumber! Tiny Hammock is a long-time, local favorite at Tiny Tavern and is a vodka-based cocktail featuring citrus.
- Ice; 1.5 oz Vodka; 0.5 oz Fresh Lemon Juice; 0.5 oz Simple Syrup; 4-5 thin slices of large cucumber; 2 Lemon Wheels; Soda Water
- Build ingredients (except for soda water) in a shaker
- Shake hard but not too long to break down the cucumber without watering down the drink
- Pour with ice into a chilled Collins glass
- Top with a splash of soda water
“Tropical Pear-a-Dise” – Margaritaville
Tropical, pear-infused margarita with a splash of Red Bull for an energizing twist on the traditional margarita.
- 1.5 oz 1800 Silver Tequila; 0.50 oz Gran Gala Orange Liqueur; 0.50 oz Finest Call Prickly Pear; 2 oz Margarita Mix; 1.5 oz Red Bull Tropical; Lime
- Add ice to glass.
- Add tequila and orange liqueur to glass.
- Next, add prickly pear juice and margarita mix.
- Cover and shake.
- Add Red Bull to top of drink.
- Garnish with lime wedge.
“Budding Spring” – Offshore
This winter-into-spring cocktail from Bar Manager Clay Livingston is fruity, slightly sweet and perfect for the home bartender. Make this from your home kitchen until you can enjoy amazing views and drinks from the world’s largest rooftop bar when we reopen.
- 1.5 oz Vanilla Vodka; 0.5 oz pear liqueur; 2 oz Pomegranate Juice
1. Shake all ingredients with ice and serve up, in a coupe or martini glass